BAKED HAM & CHEESE SANDWICHES Makes 6 sandwiches
12 slice white sandwich bread
3 slices of ham, cut in half
3/4 cup (20cl) of heavy cream
1 1/4 cups (150g) grated Gruyere cheese Freshly ground black pepper, salt (to taste)
A finely chopped shallot
Oregano (to taste)
A large log of goat cheese, about 6 oz (170g)
1. Preheat your oven to 390°F (200°C).
2. Make 6 slices of goat cheese and keep aside.
3. In a bowl, combine heavy cream and grated Gruyere. Add the minced shallot, season to taste and mix.
4. Coat a first bread slice with this mixture, then place a half slice of ham on top, then a dollop of the cream preparation in the center and top with the last slice of bread.
5. Spread the remaining shallot cream on top of the bread. Place a slice of goat cheese on top and sprinkle with oregano. Repeat the same process for the other sandwiches.
6. Bake in the oven at 390°F (200°C) until browned on top, count about 15/20 minutes. A the end of cooking, you can turn on the broiler and broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot with a green salad.
Tip: Try making these with slices of Challah bread instead of white bread; its sweet note compliments goat cheese perfectly.