- 12 ounces mushrooms (your choice), diced finely
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry (from a 17.3-ounce package)
- 1 egg beaten with 3 tablespoons water
1 _ In a large sauté pan, melt the butter and add the diced mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sauté until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and they become a little brown and caramelized. Set aside to cool.
2 _ Take the puff pastry sheet and roll it into a uniform rectangle about 10 by 12 inches.
3 _ Spread the mushroom filling over the surface of the pastry and then roll it jelly roll-style starting with the long side.
4 _ Refrigerate the roll for about 20 minutes before slicing into 1/4-inch rounds. (Or wrap and freeze the roll for later use.)
5 _ Place the little pinwheels on a parchment-lined baking sheet and dab each with a little of the egg wash.
6 _ Bake at 425° F for 12 to 15 minutes and serve warm.