articles Lifestyle media News

Man explodes after ingesting too much Mentos and Diet Coke

Philadelphia| A 47- year old man died this morning in Pennsylvania, after literally exploding  in the parking lot of a Walmart store.

accident

According to witnesses, Jimmy Fransen had just exited his vehicle and was walking towards the entrance of the store, when he suddenly seemed to suffer from a severe belly ache. He began groaning loudly and swearing while holding his stomach, and finally kneeled in the middle of the parking lot.

A few seconds later, the man apparently exploded into thousands of pieces, damaging several vehicles, but fortunately, hurting no one else.

Many of the witnesses thought that is was a failed terrorist attack and that the man had detonated an explosive belt, but the police rapidly dismissed this possibility.

“All the evidence that our investigators were able to gather, seems to suggest that the explosion that killed Mr. Fransen was completely accidental,” says Philadelphia Police Commissioner, Charles Ramsey. “It seems that the victim had ingested dozens of Mentos breath mints, before drinking almost a gallon of Diet Coke. The mix of the two substances  provoked a violent chemical reaction in his stomach, and the accumulation of gases led to a violent explosion and to his death.”  

accident1

According to Commissioner Ramsey, the police didn’t find any trace of explosives on the site, other than the breath mints and soft drink.

The violent chemical reaction obtained by mixing the carbonated beverage Diet Coke and Mentos mints, has often been used by prankers and amateur scientists, to create geyser-like eruptions.

The American Medical Association has been running a nationwide campaign to raise awareness  about the dangers of ingesting both products simultaneously, but many Americans continue to ignore the risks.

Mr. Fransen is the 17th victim of the Mentos-Diet Coke mix in Missouri alone, this year, and authorities are discussing the possibility of regulating the sale and possession of both products. A new bill concerning such regulations was supposed to be presented last week before the Pennsylvania House of Representative, but it was postponed and should finally be presented in January.