Mom Brings Her Daughter In The Pool And They Both Get Sick. How? I Had NO IDEA…

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have released a frightening new report about a new danger found in pools and hot tubs.

Summer is finally in full gear and people everywhere are trying to beat the heat by cooling off poolside. We recently shared one grieving mother’s story about losing her son to “dry drowning,” but as you’ll learn in the following news report, there are some hidden dangers in the water that are even more terrifying.

The CDC reported that swimmers should be aware of a dangerous parasite called Cryptosporidium, which can cause gastrointestinal illnesses and diarrhea in humans. Everyone knows about the old warning to wait an hour after eating to swim, but this parasite seems to be the growing cause for pool-related problems in the U.S.

According to ABC News, the CDC found that, between 2011 and 2012, 90 outbreaks of Cryptosporidium caused 1,788 illnesses, 95 hospitalizations, and one death. The worst part of all? This growing threat can even survive in normal chlorinated water, so if you think your pool or hot tub is safe, you might be mistaken.

One way a person can get the parasite is by swallowing the contaminated water. The CDC says you can protect for family by having people showering before diving in and if you do get sick with diarrhea or other gastrointestinal issues to stay out of the water.