Cheesy Bacon & Egg Brunch Casserole
Cheesy Bacon & Egg Brunch Casserole: This one-dish brunch casserole is ideal for a crowd. Add a fruit salad and you can sit back and enjoy your company.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion chopped (1 cup)
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) Italian bread cut into 1-inch cubes (5 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Mustard Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg Ground
Directions25 mins Prep time 50 mins Cook time25 mins Prep time50 mins Cook time
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and set aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Add onion to skillet; cook and and stir 3 minutes or until softened.
- Spread 1/2 of the bread cubes in 13×9-inch baking dish. Layer with 1/2 each of the onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Spread evenly with cottage cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes, onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk. Add milk, mustard, pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Gradually pour into baking dish. Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.
Make Ahead: Casserole can be assembled 1 day ahead. Prepare as directed, increasing milk to 2 cups. Cover and store in refrigerator. Remove cover and bake as directed.
Test Kitchen Tip: For a meatless alternative, try Southwest Brunch Casserole.