- 5 whole free range eggs (separated – 5 yolks and 5 whites)
- 3 shot glasses of Kahlúa liqueur
- 50g – 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 500g – 16oz Mascarpone (room temperature)
- 400ml – 2 us-cups strong espresso coffee (make it fresh, please do not use instant)
- 500g – 17oz lady fingers (one very large pack).
- Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 50g – 2oz Dark chocolate
- Pour your espresso coffee into a dish, add 1 tbs sugar and the Kahlúa, set aside.
- Separate 5 egg yolks in one mixing bowl and 5 egg whites in another.
- Add 3 tbs sugar to the yolks.
- Add a pinch of salt to the whites.
- Whisk yolks until sugar and yolks appear pale, thick and creamy with little bubbles on top.
- Combine the mascarpone cheese into the whipped egg yolks until it becomes a smooth custard.
- In the other bowl, whisk egg whites until they reach soft peaks.
- Pour and fold the whites delicately into the egg yolk and mascarpone mixture until combined. Do half first and then the second half.
- Dunk the lady fingers for 3 to 5 seconds into espresso coffee and line the bottom of your serving dish. (I used a 31 x 22cm – 8 x 12 inch dish)
- Add a layer of the custard, using half the quantity.
- Grate some of the dark chocolate to cover the custard.
- Add another layer of coffee dunked ladyfingers on top of custard.
- Pour the rest of the remaining custard on top of the coffee dunked ladyfingers.
- Dust generously the top with the powdered chocolate.
- Grate a little dark chocolate for texture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours to allow the flavours to mingle.
- Slice and serve as is.
You can vary the liqueurs instead of Kahlua such as Tia Maria, Marsala, Rum, Sambuca, Amaretto.
Sprinkle more cocoa powder prior to cutting and serving for a fresher look.
The eggs in this recipe are raw, if this is of concern then you can cook the yolks over a Bain Marie (double boiler) . For the whites, make an Italian meringue or replace them with whipped cream. It is my preference to always use fresh organic free range eggs when eating raw eggs.